Raleigh Tamale Festival
We’re searching for “the best tamale in Raleigh”! Join us in a celebration of the Latino culture at our 2019 Raleigh Tamale Festival!
The event is open to public and admission is free!
Registration is not required, but it does help us to know how many guests to expect and we can contact you with important information including event changes due to weather conditions.
This event will include activities such as:
- Authentic performances from local groups
- Games and inflatables for the kids
- Latin dance lessons
- Local art exhibits
- Informational and retail vendors
- A food truck and amateur tamale competition
- Food trucks with a wide variety of tamales to purchase representing many different Latin American countries! The food trucks that will be present are Beli's Sazon, Poblanos Tacos, The Corner Venezuelan Food, La Republica, Crazy Tamales, Sweet Escape, Mexiarepa Grill, Charlie C's hotdogs on wheels, Pupusas Y tacos Marina, TW's Italian Ice, Holy Mole, and Tacos Mama Chava.
When: October 5, 2019, 2 to 6 p.m.
Where: Dix Park Flower Field, 2105 Umstead Drive, Raleigh, NC 27603
We have lots of opportunities for individuals, organizations, and businesses to be part of the Raleigh Tamale Festival! If you are interested, please see the details for each area below and fill out our online application/inquiry.
Know Before You Go
Food, Beverages + Restrooms
Pack a picnic or purchase from the food trucks! There is no drinking water available at the park, and we only have port-a-johns available, so come prepared.
What to Bring
A blanket or camp chairs to sit on.
Dogs are permitted, but please use your best judgment regarding whether your pooch will enjoy the event. All dogs must be leashed, and please clean up after them.
If we need to postpone due to inclement weather, we will communicate through Eventbrite (so please RSVP) and post on social media @RaleighParks on Twitter and Facebook.
Getting There + Parking
The most convenient park entrances to use are Hunt Drive off of Western Boulevard or Blair Drive off of Centennial Parkway. Look for signs along Umstead Drive. Parking is available in the four parking lots off of Umstead Drive. Due to the high volume of people and limited parking, please carpool if possible. Do not drive on or park in the grass – driving on tree roots damages the trees and we want to keep the 150 year old oaks around for as long as possible!
Dorothea Dix Park continues to work to be accessible and welcoming for visitors with disabilities and limited mobility. Planning to attend and have questions about accessibility? Contact Joseph Voska, Programs and Operations Supervisor, at 919-996-6688 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Accessible parking with reserved spaces are available in all lots.
- Accessible port-a-johns will be located near the event location.
- Portions of the Dorothea Dix Park that have uneven surfaces are not ADA accessible.
- This event will take place on grass, uneven surfaces, and across all forms of terrain.
Special thanks to our Partner Sponsor, La Cocina Restaurante Mexicano, for making this event possible.
Interested in being a sponsor?
We are currently seeking sponsorships for the 2019 Raleigh Tamale Festival. As a sponsor, you will receive multiple opportunities to reach out to the event attendees. Whether providing information about your services or selling your product, as a sponsor you have the opportunity to market to a diverse population within the local Hispanic community and beyond.
Looking to support the Latino community through action? Volunteer with us at the 2019 Raleigh Tamale Festival.
Enter your tamales to win the 2019 title of ‘Best Tamale in Raleigh’! All entries must be submitted by September 15, 2019. Entry space is limited. This year there will be two categories of competitors, amateur and professional. Please see details for eligibility and prizes.
We are currently seeking authentic Latino entertainment for our 2019 Raleigh Tamale Festival.
- All applicants are subject to approval.
- Estimated attendance: 5000 people
- Acts will be given somewhere between 15-45 minutes to perform.
- Entertainment stipends are limited however all entertainers will be able to promote their group/organization free of charge (the selling of promotional items will be subject to additional fees).
We are currently seeking Hispanic themed food trucks to serve our patrons. If you are interested, please read the details below before filling out the inquiry form.
- Applicants must be on the Raleigh Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources vendor list (details about becoming a vendor are listed below)
- All food vendors must sell tamales during the event.
- All food vendors participate in the tamale competition.
- 10-12 Hispanic themed food vendors & 2-4 non-Hispanic foods (snow cones, hot dogs, funnel cakes etc.) will be allowed at the event.
We are currently seeking vendors for the 2019 Raleigh Tamale Festival. As a vendor, you will receive multiple opportunities to reach out to the event attendees. Whether providing information about your services or selling your product, as a vendor you have the opportunity to market to a diverse population within the local Hispanic community and beyond.
For more information, please contact Christy Famolare via email or 919-807-8545.