Atlantic Avenue Widening Project
- Road Widening
- $11.6 Million
- Roadway Design and Construction (Lead)
- AECOM (Design Consultant)
Updated Oct. 17
We had a public meeting on Oct 16, to talk about the preliminary design plans for the project. At the meeting City staff and our design consultant, AECOM, gave a brief presentation showing the preliminary design plans.
Not able to make it to the meeting? That is okay the presentation slides and meeting materials are linked below. Please take a moment to look at the materials and give us your feedback on the proposed improvements. We are collecting comments through Oct. 30, 2019.
The City is widening Atlantic Avenue from Highwoods Boulevard to New Hope Church Road.
We want Atlantic Avenue to be safe, convenient, and comfortable for all modes of transportation. Improvements to the roadway will include:
- A median with turn lanes;
- Sidewalks; and,
- A multi-use path.
|April 10, 2019||Pre-design Public Meeting|
|Oct. 16 2019||Preliminary Design Public Meeting|
|Spring 2020||Second Design Plan Public Meeting|
|Spring 2020||City Council Project Presentation|
|Winter 2021||Complete Right of Way and Easement Acquisition|
|Winter 2021||Advertise for Construction Bids|
|Winter 2021||Award Construction Contract|
|Late Winter 2021||Pre-construction Meeting|
|Late Spring 2023||Project Complete|
The Atlantic Avenue Widening Project is part of the Capital Improvement Program.
Key factors the City and our design consultants will consider during the design processes are:
- The existing street is a four-lane undivided roadway with a sidewalk on the east side.
- The intersection at Ingram Street has been a high-crash location historically, made difficult by rolling topography.
- The east side of this section of Atlantic Avenue is mainly residential, and any widening will likely occur on the other side of the street.