Barwell Road Widening Project
- Road Widening
- $10.8 Million
- Roadway Design and Construction (Lead)
- SEPI Engineering (Design Consultant)
Updated Oct. 18
Based on public feedback from the April 23, public meeting, other public engagement opportunities, and internal discussion and evaluation of both alternatives, we are moving forward with design Alternative 1. This design alternative includes 6-ft sidewalk along the east side of the road and a 10-ft multi-use-path (MUP) on the west side of the roadway.
Justification to Support Alternative 1
- 75 percent of the individuals participating in the public meeting survey supported Alternative 1.
- There are fewer conflict points on the west side of the road for cyclists, thus supporting the MUP on that side of the road.
- There are existing sections of sidewalk on the east side of the road. We will fill in the missing sidewalk gaps and install new ramps. This will provide cost savings to the project relative to the other proposed alternatives.
The City is widening Barwell Road from Rock Quarry Road to Berkley Lake Road.
We want Barwell Road to be safe and convenient, and comfortable for all modes of transportation. Improvements to the road include:
- Designated turn lanes;
- A multi-use-path; and,
- The realignment of the Pearl Road intersection.
|April 23, 2019||Pre-design Public Meeting|
|Late Fall 2019||Preliminary Plans (25%) Public Meeting|
|Spring 2020||Design Plan Public (65%) Meeting|
|Late Spring 2020||City Council Project Presentation|
|Fall 2020||Complete Right of Way and Easement Acquisition|
|Fall 2020||Advertise for Construction Bids|
|Late Fall 2021||Award Construction Contract|
|Spring 2021||Pre-construction Meeting|
|Spring 2023||Project Complete|
The Barwell Road Widening Project is part of the City’s Capital Improvement Program. Barwell Road is almost exclusively residential and includes the Barwell Road Elementary School and Community Center complex. These improvements will help improve pedestrian and bicycle accessibility from the surrounding properties to the school/park complex.