Carolina Pines Avenue Street Improvement Project
- Street Improvements
- $10.6 Million
- Roadway Design and Construction (Lead)
- Lochner Inc. (Design Consultant)
Updated Nov. 5
We had a public meeting on Nov. 4. City staff and our design consultant, Lochner Inc., gave a brief presentation showing the preliminary design plans. Not able to attend the meeting? That is ok. All meeting documents and the presentation are linked in the meeting material section of this page.
Based on public feedback from the April 25, public meeting, other public engagement opportunities, and internal discussions, we are moving forward with design Alternative 2. This design includes a sidewalk on the north side of the street and a multi-use path on the south side. It also eliminates the bike lanes adjacent to the travel lanes and creates a buffer for the multi-use path. This option also has less right of way impact to property owners due to a narrower roadway footprint.
Justification to support Alternative 2
- 93 percent of the public comments we received supported a multi-use path over bike lanes;
- 68 Percent of the public comments received supported traffic calming measures along the roadway;
- There was strong support for a roundabout at the intersection of Granite Street; and
- The City is still considering the possibility of a roundabout at the Lake Wheeler Road intersection.
We will make improvements to Carolina Pines Avenue from Lake Wheeler Road to South Saunders Street.
This project will improve mobility and connectivity for pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicular traffic while improving safety throughout this important corridor.
Improvements included in the project are:
- A sidewalk on the north side of the street;
- A multi-use path on the south side of the street;
- Traffic calming measures, including two mini roundabouts;
- Stormwater control;
- Consolidated transit stops;
- Landscaping; and,
- Curb and gutter.
|April 25, 2019||Pre-design Public Meeting|
|November 4, 2019||Preliminary Plans Public Meeting|
|Late Spring 2020||Design Plan Public Meeting|
|Summer 2020||City Council Project Presentation|
|Spring 2021||Complete Right of Way and Easement Acquisition|
|Spring 2021||Advertise for Construction Bids|
|Summer 2021||Award Construction Contract|
|Late Summer 2021||Pre-construction Meeting|
|Summer 2023||Project Complete|
Carolina Pines Avenue has a mix of single family and multi-family residences. The current roadway lacks pedestrian and bicycle connections to nearby Carolina Pines Park.