Mitchell Mill Road Widening Project
- Road Widening Project
- $13.8 Millon
- Roadway Design and Construction (Lead)
- Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc. (Design Consultant)
- Rifenburg Construction (Construction Contractor)
Posted Jan. 23
The temporary pavement markings are in place, and the final thermoplastic pavement markings will be installed once warmer weather settles in. Thermoplastic pavement markings can only be installed when the outside temperature is at 50 degrees or higher on a consistent basis.
The City thanks residents and commuters along Mitchell Mill Road for their continued patience while crews work to finish the Mitchell Mill Road Widening Project.
To stay up to date on the project, check the website often as pages will be updated regularly, or if you would like updates sent to your email, subscribe to project updates.
The project will widen Mitchell Mill Road between Louisburg Road and Forestville Road.
Street Improvements will include:
- Four-lane median-divided road;
- Curb and gutters;
- Bike lanes;
- Streetlights on both sides;
- Turn-lane improvements;
- Culvert replacement at the intersection of Mitchell Mill Road and Forestville Road;
- A directional crossover at Neuse Crossing Drive and Longdale Drive;
- Full access movements at Single Leaf Lane and Caliber Woods Drive; and,
- New water main installation to connect existing sections currently installed along the corridor
|September 23, 2010||Corridor Public Meeting|
|May 5, 2011||Design Public Meeting|
|May 20, 2014||Public Meeting|
|September 11, 2014||Follow-up Public Meeting|
|December 2, 2014||City Council Public Hearing|
|Fall 2015||Complete Right of Way and Easement Acquisition|
|January 2016||Advertise for Construction Contract|
|May 2016||Award Construction Contract|
|Winter 2019||Project Completion|
Mitchell Mill Road Widening project is part of the 2005 Road Bond approved by voters of the City of Raleigh. Initial design funding for the project was authorized by the Raleigh City Council as part of the 2008-09 Capital Improvement Program.
Mitchell Mill Road is classified as a major thoroughfare in the City's 2030 comprehensive Plan. The existing roadway consists of primarily a two lane roadway with triple lefts at the Louisburg Road (US 401) intersection.
Existing Traffic Volume: 17,500 vehicles per day
Projected Traffic Forecast: 25,000 vehicles per day (2035)