Lake Dam Road Bridge Replacement
- Bridge Replacement
- About $2 million
- Stormwater Management (Lead)
- Dewberry Engineers, Inc. (Design)
- S.T. Wooten Corporation (Construction)
- SEPI Engineering and Construction, Inc.
- Transportation Planning
Posted Wednesday, July 31
Construction is finished. We completed the final walkthrough with NCDOT this week. The road will reopen on Aug. 2 ahead of morning rush hour.
The contractor has:
- Relocated water and gas mains across Walnut Creek (east of the new bridge);
- Relocated the sewer main on the north side of the bridge;
- Installed sediment and erosion control measures to protect the stream during construction;
- Finished construction on the end and center support columns and concrete beams for the new bridge;
- Finished the approach slabs for the new bridge, which provide a transition between the bridge and the roadway pavement;
- Built bridge barriers (or parapets);
- Added a sidewalk on the east side of the bridge; and,
- Repaved the road.
The Public Utilities Department also completed emergency sewer repairs at the intersection of Lake Dam Road and Tryon Road.
Questions? Contact Gilles Bellot, PE, at 919-996-4001.
The 53-year-old bridge on Lake Dam Road is located over Walnut Creek just below the Lake Johnson dam. The purpose of this project is to replace the failing bridge structure so that it is safe to travel over.
Raleigh City Council approved the construction bid for this project on May 15. It was awarded to S.T. Wooten Corporation. SEPI Engineering and Construction, Inc., also will be handling inspections and materials testing for this project.
Construction documents were approved on Sept. 19 by the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) and the construction contract with S.T. Wooten was finalized.
This is a joint project with NCDOT and the Federal Highway Administration.
|Fall 2017||Easement acquisition and permitting process complete|
|Spring 2018||Project design and construction bid complete|
|Fall 2018||Project construction begins (Active construction work to start in January)|
|Summer 2019||Project construction complete|
This bridge was built in 1966. Over the years, the condition of the bridge declined making it unsafe to travel. The new bridge will address issues with the bridge structure while meeting current design standards. Lake Dam Road will reopen once the bridge is repaired.