Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Gardens
Last updated Jan. 25, 2018 - 8:13 pm
- Year 1975 | Acres 2.4
- View Park Status Alerts
- First public park in the United States solely devoted to Dr. King and the civil rights movement.
- To honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s legacy and contributions to peace, justice, equality, human dignity, and education by expanding and enhancing the MLK Memorial Gardens , providing a unique historic and educational destination for the citizens of Raleigh, the people of North Carolina and the Nation.
- Enrich the commemorative experience
- Support education opportunities
- Promote community cohesion
- Complement downtown development
- Provide safe, friendly and sustainable leisure environment
- Improve vehicular and pedestrian accessibility
MLK Jr. Statue
- The 6-foot-2-inch life-size sculpture of civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. was commissioned to commemorate the creation of a memorial garden heralding the achievements of local and national leaders.
- Part of Raleigh's Public Art Collection
- 12-ton granite water monument
- Honors the area's notable pioneers in the civil rights movement.