Environmental Advisory Board
The 2018 Environmental Awards Celebration was held on Thursday, March 22, 2018 in Market Hall at the Historic City Market, 215 Wolfe Street, Raleigh, NC 27601.
The City of Raleigh presented the 2017 Environmental Awards on April 25, 2017 at Fletcher Theater.
- July 12, 2018
- 5:00 pm
- Meets: Every second Thursday
- Raleigh Municipal Building
- 222 W. Hargett Street
- Raleigh, NC 27601
- Recent Minutes
The public is welcome to attend. Board members are available to speak with civic groups, neighborhood associations, Scout troops, schools, and other community groups specifically about the Environmental Advisory Board.
If you would like to be added to the mailing list for the meetings or if you would like to contact a member, please e-mail us.
The Environmental Advisory Board is an all volunteer board created by the City Council in 2006. The City Council established the board to advise them on matters related to environmental quality and to promote communication between various governmental units and the public on environmental protection standards and policies including communication. The City Council also deemed it in the public interest and affirmed the importance of protecting the environment by creating the board that provides the Council with expert and comprehensive advice on various matters related to environmental quality and safety.
The specific actions that have been taken by the City Council from the board are:
- The establishment of a goal of 20 percent reduction in fossil fuel consumption by the city fleet from 2006 levels within five years;
- Established Energy Efficient Building Standards - LEED Silver Certification for all new city construction and additions encompassing 10,000 gross square feet or more;
- Endorsed the U.S. Mayors Climate Protection Agreement, committing to develop a Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction Strategy for the City of Raleigh;
- Accepted the comments and suggestions from the board's collaborative review of the environmental policies in the 2030 Comprehensive Plan to enhance the sustainable aspects;
- Received the report from the board on development incentives and policies that encourage sustainable practices among private development and which would be the most applicable to Raleigh; and,
- Supports the City of Raleigh's Annual Environmental Awards program.
- Graham Smith
- Ben Bobay
- Todd Kennedy
- Aranzazu Lascurain
- Anya Gordon
- Beverley Clark
- Linda Watson
- Justin Senkbeil
- Brian Starkey