Common Fire Questions

Last updated Aug. 14, 2018 - 9:13 am

Below is a list of common questions we get at the Fire Marshal's office.

Can I Grill on my patio?

Portable grill and tank

Can I Grill on my patio? Adhere to the following PER THE 2012 Fire Prevention Code. Reference images for a visual.

Adhere to the following PER THE 2012 Fire Prevention Code. Reference images for a visual.

308.3.1 Open-flame cooking devices. Charcoal burners and other open-flame cooking devices shall not be operated on combustible balconies or within 10 feet (3048 mm) of combustible construction.


  1. One- and two-family dwellings.
  2. Where buildings, balconies and decks are protected by an automatic sprinkler system.

308.3.1.1 Liquefied-petroleum-gas-fueled cooking devices. LP-gas burners having an LP-gas container with a water capacity greater than 2.5 pounds [nominal 1 pound (0.454 kg) LP-gas capacity] shall not be located on combustible balconies or within 10 feet (3048 mm) of combustible construction.

Exception: One- and two-family dwellings.

Can I have a portable outdoor fire pit?

outdoor fireplace

Adhere to the following PER THE 2012 Fire Prevention Code. Reference images for a visual.

307.4.3 Portables outdoor fireplaces.

Portable outdoor fireplaces shall be used in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions and shall not be operated within 15 feet (3048) of a structure or combustible material.

To report information about a possible arson:

Contact the City of Raleigh Fire Department Fire Investigation office at 919-996-5188 or email the information.

How can I learn more about home fire safety issues?

Please visit any of our fire prevention education pages, listed below:

How can I dispose of household generated hazardous materials?

Household hazardous waste can adversely affect everyone's quality of life. That's why it is important to properly dispose of these items. Wake County operates permanent collection centers on a year-round basis for all Wake County residents to drop off hazardous materials.

Learn about disposal

How can I get a copy of a fire report?

The City of Raleigh Fire Department provides inspection and incident reports available for free online. Please visit

How can I request a fire inspection? (e.g. day care, group home)

Complete our online request form

Who is doing my fire protection inspection for new construction-related permitted job?

Please call 919-857-4412 after 7:45 a.m. and have your permit number ready.

How can I schedule a fire station tour or have a fire engine visit my location?

Please use our online request form and someone will contact you to confirm a date.

How can I request a fire prevention presentation?

Please use our online request form

How can I report possible fire code violations in a business?

How many fire extinguishers are required for my building?

Generally speaking all commercial buildings in the City of Raleigh (including multi-family apartments) are required to have a minimum 2A10BC fire extinguisher(s) within 75 ft. of all points of the building. Also one 2A10BC extinguisher can only serve a maximum 3000sq foot area. There are also other operations and buildings that will have different requirements. If you would like assistance please complete our online request form.

Are fireworks allowed in the city of Raleigh?

Yes. However, Class 1.4G consumer fireworks are limited to what is described in General Statute 14-414. For the full text of the General Statute, please visit the North Carolina General Assembly

How can I obtain a permit for using pyrotechnics?

Permits are issued by the Wake County Fire Marshal's Office with site inspections conducted by the Raleigh Fire Marshal's Office. Download the permit application

What fire code does Raleigh use and how can I obtain a copy?

The City of Raleigh enforces the International Fire Code with amendments through the NC Building Code Council, view the fire code

How often am I required to conduct a fire drill?

North Carolina State Fire Code
Frequency-Required emergency evacuation drills shall be held at intervals specified in the table below or more frequently where necessary to familiarize all occupants with the drill procedure.

Group Occupancy Frequency Participation
Group Assembly Quarterly Employees
Group Educational Monthly* All Occupants
Group Institutional Quarterly on each shift Employees**
Group R-1 (Hotel/Motel) Quarterly on each shift Employees
Group R-4 (Residential) Quarterly on each shift Employees**

*The frequency shall be allowed to be modified in accordance with Section 408.3.2

**Fire and evacuation drills in residential care assisted living facilities shall include complete evacuation of the premises in accordance with Section 408.10.5. Where occupants received habilitation or rehabilitation training, fire prevention and fire safety practices shall be included as part of the training program.

What companies are certified to conduct flow test in the City of Raleigh?

What are other services offered by the Fire Department?

  1. Car seat installation: We do not offer this service. Please contact Wake County Human Services for an appointment for this service.
  2. Smoke detectors: You may stop by your local fire station and, if the station has them available, they will give you one at no charge.
  3. Volunteer: We have only paid personnel and do not accept volunteers.
  4. CPR instruction: We do not offer this service, please contact your local Red Cross, Wake County Human Services or other local organization for more information.
  5. Fire Extinguishers: For recharging or refilling please internet search for your local fire extinguisher recharge company.
  6. Reports and Records: Records that are not public and are not available on our website pertaining to incidents/ medical treatment/ investigations will only be given out with a subpoena.
  7. Flammable/Combustible Liquids (tank removals): Please contact Development Services Customer Service Center at 919-996-2495.

Was this page helpful?

Forbes named Raleigh

In the 10 Coolest Places to Eat

View our accolades >>