Parking Citation Appeal Process
Individuals who feel unjustly cited for a parking violation or believe a citation/ticket was issued in error, can appeal through two levels:
- Administrative Review - conducted by the City of Raleigh’s Parking Administration.
If you are not satisfied with the decision of the committee, the second level of appeal is:
- Adjudication Hearing - before an independent adjudicator.
City Ordinance requires that a request to appeal a parking citation must be received not later than twenty-one (21) days from the date of issuance of the ticket. Once received, your appeal will be reviewed by the Appeal Review Committee. If the reviewers require additional information you will be contacted by phone or mail. You will be notified of the review disposition by mail.
As a matter of policy, the ParkLink program does not accept the following as grounds for appeal:
- Lack of knowledge of the City's parking regulations;
- No other vehicles were ticketed;
- Inability to find a valid parking space; or,
- Failure to have sufficient change or an alternate payment method for the meters.
A Request for Adjudication Hearing form must be received not later than 21 days from the date of the Administrative Review disposition notice. This form is also available from the ParkLink office. Please note that payment of the citation fine is required to serve as the deposit but will be fully refunded should the decision of the adjudicator be in your favor. Hearings are scheduled on the third Thursday of each month commencing at 5:10 p.m. in the ParkLink Office at:
1st floor across from the Raleigh Television Network
310 W. Martin Street, Raleigh, NC 27601 (google map) - at the intersection of Martin and Commerce Place.
On-street parking is free after 5 p.m. Convenient pay parking can also be found in the Dillon Deck located behind the ParkLink office on Harrington Street.
The hearing is informal and is designed to be a customer-friendly process which takes about 10 minutes. You will be given opportunity to state your circumstances and present your own supporting evidence such as photographs or diagrams. You may also bring one witness to present evidence. Photos or notes taken by the issuing enforcement agent as well as any pertinent records will also be introduced for the adjudicator to review. You will be informed of the adjudicator’s decision at the hearing and a follow-up confirmation notice will be mailed to you within 72 hours.
Your personal appearance at the hearing is mandatory and the decision of the adjudicator is final. If you fail to appear for the hearing without at least 24 hours notice you will forfeit your right to reschedule the hearing.
- Vehicles with three (3) or more outstanding citations at least 90 days old are subject to being booted. If your vehicle should become immobilized please contact the ParkLink office 919-996-3996 or attend the parking office at 310 W. Martin St Suite 109. Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 5 p.m. In order to have immobilization device removed from your vehicle you must pay all fines and any additional fees within 24 hours to avoid your vehicle being towed at your expense. Only cash, cashier's check, or bank draft is accepted once a vehicle is booted.
- In addition, when paying to have the immobilization device removed from your vehicle citizens will be required to show a current registration, and valid Driver’s License prior to vehicle being released.