Shred and Recycle It
Shred Sensitive Documents for Free Nov. 16
Raleigh residents and small businesses will get an opportunity to protect themselves from identify theft by disposing confidential documents at a shred event on Saturday, Nov. 16, from 9 a.m. to noon.
The City of Raleigh Solid Waste Services Departments sponsors two "shred and recycle" events each year. A spring event is usually held in April to coincide with Earth Day while a fall event is held in November to celebrate America Recycles Day. These events give an opportunity for Raleigh area residents and small businesses to protect themselves from identity theft by disposing of confidential documents in an environmentally responsible way.
The next shred event will be Nov. 16, 9 a.m. - Noon.
Here's what you need to know to "shred and recycle" at the event:
- Bring up to three boxes or bags of documents per person. Boxes should be no larger than "banker boxes," or about 24 inches long, 12 inches wide and 10 inches deep;
- Please only bring paper that should be shredded. Before participating in a shred event, learn about the types of paper you should shred. Most junk mail, except pre-approved credit card offers, does not need to be shredded. Magazines and catalogs should be recycled;
- Bring computers, TVs, phones and other electronic devices for recycling'
- Remember to remove sensitive data from hard drives and phones before recycling;
- Our staff will unload your materials and take them to the shredding truck. Heavy traffic is expected at this event and you may not be able to walk to the truck to watch your documents being shredded; and,
Small businesses, nonprofits, churches, and individuals are welcome to participate.
Did you know? Local shredding companies have made this program possible since 2007! Consider how many tons of paper have been recycled at past events:
- Spring Event: 6.00 (2018) 4.75 (2017), 6.00 (2015), 12.38 (2014), 7.60 (2013), 8.10 (2012), 5.00 (2011), 7.89 (2010)
- Fall Event: 4.5 (2015) 9.5 (2014), 13.82 (2013), 7.00 (2012), 6.00 (2011), 5.69 (2010), 4.99 (2009), 3.25 (2008), 2.90 (2007)
- Shredding is for Raleigh residents and small businesses only.
- Nov 16, 2019
- 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Wilders Grove Solid Waste Services Facility
- 630 Beacon Lake Dr
- Raleigh, NC 27610